In today’s fast-paced world, the pursuit of a higher education degree can open doors to a wealth of opportunities. It gets even better with the emergence of flexible and accessible online education. However, this advancement is not without challenges as the credibility of some online institutions is often questioned. Hence, when selecting a program you should make sure that it is one of the accredited online degree programs in the USA.
Online programs are a convenient option for people who have other responsibilities and are looking to further their studies. They are also great for people who wish to study in an institution that is far from their location. Whatever your case may be, this article will provide you with some of the recognized online programs that are accredited by bodies like the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Eight Accredited Online Degree Programs in the USA
1. Clinical Psychology (Mater’s, Doctoral & Certificate Programs)
Clinical psychology is a field of study which involves assessing, diagnosing, and treating mental health and emotional issues. This could be in individuals, families, or groups. As a clinical psychologist, you learn how to provide therapy and counselling to help people cope with and overcome psychological challenges. The level of education you need and the scope of practice differ among master’s, doctoral, and certificate programs.
Thankfully, these are all accredited online degree programs in the USA that are available in different schools. The Master’s program provides a foundational understanding of clinical assessment, psychotherapy techniques, and psychological research. Whereas, the Doctoral degree typically focuses more on practical clinical skills and research. In contrast, Certificate programmes are usually shorter and provide training in specific areas of clinical practice.
Depending on your preferred degree program, there are a number of schools that offer this study online. Below are a few.
- Capella University (Mater’s & Doctoral)
- Regent University Online (Master’s)
- Indiana Wesleyan University Online (Master’s)
- Saybrook University Hybrid Online (Doctoral)
- University of Maryland Global Campus (Certificate)
- Arizona State University (Certificate)
2. Construction Management (Bachelor’s Degree)
If you want to start a career in the construction industry, this is a program for you. It equips you with the knowledge and skills necessary to effectively manage construction projects. The program typically combines coursework in construction technology, project management, business, and leadership.
Upon completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, you can function in various roles in the construction industry, such as project manager, construction superintendent, estimator, scheduler, or safety manager. Also, you can work in construction companies, real estate development firms, government agencies, or consulting firms.
Some of the schools offering these accredited online degree programs in the USA are;
- Purdue Global
- St. Petersburg College
- Seminole State College of Florida
- National American University Online
- University of Alaska Anchorage
3. Electrical Engineering (Bachelor’s & Master’s)
This degree focuses on the design, analysis, and application of electrical systems and devices. Electrical engineers work with various technologies, including power generation, electronics, telecommunications, and computer systems. Whether you go for a Bachelor’s or a Master’s depends on your current career level and the goals you wish to achieve.
Bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering coursework covers topics such as circuit analysis, digital systems, electronics, electromagnetics, control systems, and signals and systems. Whereas, a Master’s program allows for specialisation in various areas, such as communications, control systems, power systems, and microelectronics.
Also, a Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering qualifies you for entry-level positions, while a Master’s degree opens doors to more advanced roles, including research, design, and leadership positions. It can also lead to higher earning potential.
Accredited online degree programs in the USA that offer this course include;
- American Public University System (Bachelor’s)
- ECPI University Online (Bachelor’s)
- Thomas Edison State University (Bachelor’s)
- University of Virginia (Master’s)
- Washington State University (Master’s)
4. Forensic Accounting (Bachelor’s Degree)
A Bachelor’s degree in forensic accounting is a multidisciplinary program that combines accounting, auditing, and investigative skills. It prepares students for careers in detecting and preventing financial fraud, embezzlement, and white-collar crimes. Also, students receive the knowledge and skills they need to investigate financial irregularities and present evidence in legal proceedings.
As a graduate of this program, you can work as a forensic accountant, fraud investigator, internal auditor, or compliance officer in organizations, law enforcement agencies, accounting firms, government agencies, or as an independent consultant.
Accredited online degree programs in the USA where you can study Forensic Accounting include;
- Franklin University
- University of Northwestern Ohio
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University – Worldwide
- Pennsylvania Western University
5. Healthcare Informatics (Master’s Degree)
To pursue a Master’s degree in Healthcare Informatics, you need an undergraduate degree that provides a foundation in healthcare, information technology, or a closely related discipline.
Still, many Master’s in Healthcare Informatics programs accept students from various academic backgrounds. However, you may be required to take additional prerequisite courses to bridge any knowledge gaps if your undergraduate degree is not directly related to healthcare or information technology.
A Master’s degree in Healthcare Informatics combines healthcare, information technology, and data analysis to prepare professionals for roles in managing, analyzing, and optimizing healthcare data and information systems. The coursework typically covers the fundamentals of health informatics, electronic health records (EHRs), health information exchange, and telemedicine.
Here are a few schools where you can get this degree.
- Duke University
- Drexel University
- University of South Florida Online
- Northern Kentucky University
6. Educational Leadership ( Master’s, Doctoral & Certificate Programs)
Accredited online degree programs in the USA on Educational Leadership are available at different levels. Generally, the program focuses on developing the skills and knowledge necessary to lead and manage educational institutions including schools, colleges, and other educational organizations effectively.
For Master’s programs, core coursework covers educational leadership principles, organizational management, curriculum development, and education policy. Doctoral graduates can hold senior leadership roles in education, such as superintendent, district-level administrators, and Higher institution leadership positions. Whereas, Certificate programs are a good option for educators seeking to enhance their knowledge and skills without committing to a full master’s or doctoral program.
Below are some accredited schools where you can learn this course online.
- Mercy University ( Master’s )
- California State University – East Bay ( Master’s )
- University of Alaska Southeast ( Master’s )
- University of Massachusetts Global ( Master’s & Doctoral)
- National American University Online (Doctoral)
- University of Memphis (Certificate)
- University of Phoenix (Certificate)
7. International Business (Bachelor’s Degree)
The world is becoming a global village. So, if you are going to study business, you might as well do so on an international level. International Business is a multidisciplinary program that combines the study of business, economics, and international affairs to prepare students for careers in the global marketplace.
Also, it equips students with the knowledge and skills necessary to navigate the complexities of international trade, global finance, and cross-cultural business transactions. After completing a Bachelor’s degree in International Business, you can pursue a career in international trade, marketing, finance, supply chain management, and a variety of other roles that require a global perspective.
This is one of the accredited online degree programs in the USA and schools where you can study it include;
- American Public University System
- Purdue Global
- Columbia Southern University
- State College of Florida, Manatee – Sarasota
- St. Petersburg College
- Arizona State University
8. Project Management (Bachelor’s & Master’s)
Project managers in any industry are responsible for ensuring that projects are completed on time, within budget, and with the expected level of quality. A degree in this study will equip you with the knowledge and skills necessary to plan, execute, and oversee projects across various industries.
Coursework for a Bachelor’s degree in Project Management typically covers project planning, scheduling, risk management, budgeting, and team leadership. On the other hand, Master’s programs offer a deeper dive into project management theory and advanced topics.
While a Bachelor’s degree will help you secure an entry-level project management position, a master’s degree opens doors to more advanced roles, including project manager, program manager, and director of project management.
Schools where you can acquire skills in these accredited online degree programs in the USA include;
- City University of Seattle (Bachelor’s)
- Colorado State University Global (Bachelor’s)
- American Public University System (Bachelor’s)
- George Fox University (Bachelor’s)
- University of Maryland – College Park (Master’s)
- Lehigh University (Master’s)
Pros and Cons of Earning a Degree Online
- Flexibility: Online programs offer greater flexibility in terms of when and where you can study. This is especially beneficial for individuals with work, family, or other commitments.
- Accessibility: Online education allows you to access programs and courses offered by institutions anywhere in the U.S. or from around the world. Hence, providing access to a broader range of educational opportunities.
- Cost Savings: Online programs can be more cost-effective, as they often eliminate commuting and housing expenses. Additionally, some online programs have lower tuition costs.
- Customized Pace: You can often choose the pace of your learning. Some online programs allow you to complete coursework at your own speed, which can be beneficial for self-paced learners.
- Diverse Learning Environment: Online classrooms often consist of students from diverse backgrounds, locations, and age groups, offering a broader range of perspectives and experiences.
- Limited Social Interaction: Online learning can be isolating, as it lacks the in-person social interactions that traditional, on-campus programs offer.
- Self-Motivation Required: Online learning demands a high degree of self-discipline and motivation. Without regular class meetings, students need to stay on track independently.
- Technical Challenges: Technical issues, such as internet connectivity problems or software glitches, can disrupt your learning experience.
- Lack of Hands-On Experience: Some fields, such as the sciences or healthcare, require hands-on laboratory work or clinical experience, which can be challenging to replicate in an online setting.
- Perceived Credibility: While online education has gained recognition, some employers and industries may still prefer traditional degrees from established institutions.
- Limited Networking Opportunities: Building professional relationships and networks can be more challenging in an online environment compared to on-campus programs.
- Quality Varies: The quality of online programs can vary significantly. It’s crucial to choose accredited programs from reputable institutions such as the ones discussed here.
Accredited online degree programs in the USA have democratized education, making it possible for people from various backgrounds, life stages, and locations to access high-quality learning experiences. The degree and school you may choose to enrol in will depend on your current career level and future goals.
Also, you will need to check the institution of your choice to find out about its affordability. The costs of these schools vary widely. However, we made sure to compile an inclusive list that covers different price ranges so that there is something for everyone no matter your financial status.